smart car owners forum model 451 fortwo - Discuss upgrades, modifications, ideas Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Moderated by: 451smart
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
P0410 Secondary Air InjectionSystem Malfunction  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jun 25th, 2008 02:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
louis bolieu

smart car color of choice: 
Mana: 
The Scanguage I installed on my 2008 Passion now tells me the smart has a "Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction (P0410).  At the same time, the smart's gas mileage fell from 50mpg to 38mpg.

Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on, or a troubleshooting procedure?  The nearest smart center is 400 miles away.

Louis

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Jun 25th, 2008 04:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
ALephart
Administrator

smart car color of choice: Silver with silver tridion
Mana: 
Do you also have a check engine light illuminated? Believe it or not it can be as simple as a loose gas cap, or as extensive as a secondary air (smog) pump.

All the best,

Aaron Lephart

Posted: Sat Jul 5th, 2008 02:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
louis bolieu

Mana: 
Update:

took the smart to dealer service dept.  They replaced the s"secondary air injection valve" and fixed the stuck shifter in an hour.  I got a replacement valve at their parts counter ($42) so that if if fails again--said to be fairly common--I can replace it without driving 400 miles.  Looks pretty easy, on top of the engine.

They even washed the car.  No charge for anything.  So I had them fill the tires with nitrogen (lots of side extras with this program).  $60.  I'll update when I've had some experience with the nitrogen.

Louis

Posted: Sat Jul 5th, 2008 02:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
ALephart
Administrator

Mana: 
Glad it worked out for you! Thank you for the update. Hopefully this was a 1 time problem.

Aaron Lephart

Posted: Wed Jul 16th, 2008 02:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
louis bolieu

Mana: 
louis bolieu wrote: Update:

took the smart to dealer service dept.  They replaced the s"secondary air injection valve" and fixed the stuck shifter in an hour.  I got a replacement valve at their parts counter ($42) so that if if fails again--said to be fairly common--I can replace it without driving 400 miles.  Looks pretty easy, on top of the engine.

They even washed the car.  No charge for anything.  So I had them fill the tires with nitrogen (lots of side extras with this program).  $60.  I'll update when I've had some experience with the nitrogen.

Louis
Update # 2: smart dealership called.  Factory had sent a replacement entire shifter assembly in response to a shifter lockup I had experienced.  I took the smart to the dealership, where they replacedd the shift assembly in an hour and detailed the car.  Nocharge for anything.  I believe the new shifter is an improved version to address the numerous complaints smart owners have lodged re shifter lockups.Louis

Posted: Thu Jul 17th, 2008 12:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
ALephart
Administrator

Mana: 
Thanks for keeping us informed! Do you know if the dealership had heard the same problem from other smart car owners?

All the best,

Aaron Lephart

Posted: Thu Jul 17th, 2008 01:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
louis bolieu

Mana: 
the smart service rep was very aware of shifter problems and spoke of a factory service alert sheet.  smart mechanics are having to fly by these service alert sheets in the absence of a smart service manual.  Let's  see . . .you produce a car before you have a service manual for it.

I bought a smart service CD on eBay.  Its shortcoming is much of the content is 450 stuff and its in Btitishese.  You know, bonnets and spanners and blimeys, etc.

Posted: Thu Jul 17th, 2008 04:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
ALephart
Administrator

Mana: 
Thanks for the heads up! I was thinking about getting one of those CD's on Ebay as well. I will wait for an official manual.

All the best,

Aaron Lephart

Current time is 10:17 am  
smart car owners forum model 451 fortwo - Discuss upgrades, modifications, ideas > smart car owners general chat forum > smart car tech and performance forum > P0410 Secondary Air InjectionSystem Malfunction Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1436 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 29 queries executed.